Tuesday, January 11, 2011

And if you could be lost you’d find yourself at home

Today I had to survive the facebook attack of snow and friend filled fun in the Southeast. That's right... the second snowstorm of the year hit Cleveland, TN and a majority of my friends are snowed-in with each other. I, on the other hand, have been basking in the snow of NE Ohio for the last 3 weeks. I'm not complaining, I freaking love snow. It's the only thing bringing me back to the North eventually (sorry family). I'm just over the gross, slushy, brown snow that has been created by cars on the roads. If it stayed sparkly and clean we'd have a deal.

How do people survive growing up? I'm really attempting not to be a whiny girl, but I'm finding this to be a legitimate complaint. I rarely get homesick but I'm so "schoolsick" it is ridiculous. On the brighter side, I did get multiple convos with my amazing friends in Tennessee today. That made the sting of being far away feel less acute. The problem is I love learning. I've always been in school and writing papers. I don't know how I'm going to make this transition to working instead of learning. Maybe someday I'll make a career out of academics. Until then, it's off to the job search races.

I've officially had 3 job interviews over the phone this week! Progress is being made. Despite how cool it'd be to get a grown up job right out of college, I'm secretly hoping that everything works out for this residential internship I've applied for. It pays next to nothing but I'll get to spend all my time working with kids that are neglected, abused, and/or HIV+. If you know anything about me, you know this is my dream job. My one goal in life is to simply love someone who has never experienced it and I may actually get the chance to do that. It would involve me moving even farther from my family and friends than I already am but I'm ready. I'm trying not to get too excited until I have a start date from the organization, but I'm beyond excited. Now they just need to tell me when I'd start so I can plan accordingly. There is a life to be packed and moved from Tennessee and these things just don't happen overnight.

I'm ready to start new and do something that is completely mine. I've faced opposition from my grandfather at the possibility of moving away again. So much so that he gave me the classifieds from the Akron Beacon Journal with suitable job opportunities circled. Not to mention his constant promotion of the Nursing industry... Clearly he doesn't realize that I have no interest in bed pans, scrubs, and assisting doctors in probe insertion. No thank you. It's kind of invigorating, this whole going somewhere completely unfamiliar and the uncertainty of what I'll meet there.

Now Playing- Young the Giant. If you have not heard this band, and you like the sounds of Phoenix (minus the electronic stuff), I can guarantee you will probably love them. I'm obsessed.

In other news, engagements are running rampant among my friends. Beware of they hype of the holiday season (which I extend to that wretched 2nd week in february). I know this may be hard to believe for many but an engagement isn't just the next step in a relationship. It is the decision to get married. So if you aren't ready for marriage, don't bother asking the question. And if you're just anxious to have sex (for all those conservative fundamentalists out there-- sorry but the stereotype fits here), just go for it... or don't. But don't use marriage as an excuse to get laid because your marriage will suck. **stepping off soapbox**

Job Status: still searching but possibilities are present.
5k training: 2 miles at a 12 min/mi pace. I will overcome.
Grad School status: possibly postponing for a year... we shall see.
Location: Barberton, Ohio for now. But maybe I'll be calling somewhere in the West home soon :)



No comments:

Post a Comment